Yields: 1 medium loaf
½ Tbsp dry yeast
½ cup warm water
8 tsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp sugar
¾ tsp salt
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 each egg for glaze
- Combine the water, sugar and yeast in a bag, shake the bag to dissolve the yeast.
- Add the oil, salt and flour to the bag. Mix until fully incorporated. If the dough is sticking to the bag add a little bit of flour (1 Tbsp at a time) until it doesn’t stick to the bag.
- Take the dough out of the bag and knead for 30 seconds.
- Split the dough to 3 parts, roll out each part and braid.
- Put challah on baking pan and let rise covered for 1 hour in a warm place (should double in size).
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Brush the dough very gently (you could sprinkle toppings like sesame seeds or poppyseeds).
- Bake at 350F until the braids are dark golden brown and shiny, 18 to 25 minutes. Cool completely on a rack.
If you have questions about the Blaze Bernstein School of Culinary Arts contact Chef Liron Herzog at: firstname.lastname@example.org.